Over the weekend I went peach pickin……And I picked a lot of peaches. And I mean A LOT……Needless to say once I got home and saw that I went nutty in the peach orchard I had to think quickly about what I was going to do will all these things. Since it’s been so hot out I figured I’d make a cool sweet treat and decided on homemade peach ice cream. It took no time to whip this up and we were able to enjoy fresh homemade peach ice cream for dessert that very night. Making your own ice cream is a great way to control the ingredients plus you actually know what the ingredients are.
You can find pretty cheap ice cream makers all over the place right now. If you don’t have one search Target and Amazon I have seen a few models at great prices. You can easily make this vegan by switching out the cream for soy, rice or almond milk. I have made ice cream in the past with almond milk and I really like the vanilla and chocolate flavors. It’s not quite as rich as the cream but it does a great job and it’s still delicious. Make some!
Homemade Peach Ice Cream
Yield 8 servings
- ¼ – ½ cups organic agave nectar (just depends on how sweet your peaches are and how sweet you want the ice cream to be.)
- 8-10 fresh organic peaches, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2cups of heavy cream (you can also use half & half) I went with almond milk this time around
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Puree the peaches in blender or food processor. Once all of the peaches are pureed ad them to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cream, vanilla and salt mixing well.
- Pour mixture into freezer canister of ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.