Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

I love peppers and I love nothing more than a simple, healthy, hearty meal. Peppers are such a versatile vegetable. They can be eaten raw, roasted, added to salads, sandwiches the possibilities are endless…. I had several bell peppers so I decided on making stuffed peppers for dinner. These are anything but soggy,tasteless, watery stuffed peppers. They are a delicious, filling and even a healthy diet friendly meal. Since my husband is a vegetarian I made him his own special peppers  by eliminating the turkey and using crumbled veggie burgers instead. He LOVED them.  This is an extremely versatile recipe  meaning meat eaters, vegetarians and the VEGANS can partake in this deliciousness. This is a super easy and great “clean” meal. Enjoy!

• Olive Oil ( I used Tahitian lime olive oil)
  • 1/2 lb lean ground turkey breast
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 heaping tbsp of homemade taco seasoning (or you can use the packaged type if you like)
  • 2 cups of cooked rice (any type you like – I like brown)
  • 3-4 organic bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
  • 1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed
  • ½ cup of organic frozen corn
  • 1 (15 -16 ounce) jar of salsa (my favorite is mango peach)
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Toppings:
  • fresh cilantro
  • sour cream
  • sliced avocado

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat the peppers with olive oil and roast in a baking dish about 20-25 minutes just until cooked thru. Remove the peppers from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle them.

*****Note – make sure you cook your turkey ahead of time that way you do not have to worry about it later. Also, I sauteed the onions until cooked thru, I then added in my cooked rice, black beans and corn.

In a bowl add the taco seasoning, cooked ground turkey, chopped onions, black beans, corn and rice. Add in the jar of salsa and mix well.

Carefully spoon the turkey mixture into each half of the bell peppers and place back into the baking dish. Cook the peppers for another 15-20 minutes or until the peppers are cooked all the way thru. Before removing from the oven sprinkle the tops of each pepper with shredded cheddar cheese. Place back into the oven just until the cheese has melted.

Remove from the oven and top with fresh cilantro, avocado slices and/or sour cream just before serving.

***** UPDATE – So since this recipe posted I became a vegan. For me the filling I use is brown rice, b lack beans (or quinoa) the peach mango salsa, maybe throw in some sauteed zucchini, squash, carrots, mushrooms etc that have been very finely chopped. I top them with daiya pepper jack shredds and toffuti sour cream. STILLLLLLL delish!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Post Author

This post was written by Meals Full Of Color who has written 154 posts on Meals Full Of Color.

98 Responses “Southwestern Stuffed Peppers”

1. desain web dan script February 27, 2012 1:11 pm #

Nice info.. And really nice blog…

2. Ryan March 5, 2012 12:48 am #

Took 3 recipes from this site! Thnx!

3. cj.chinesejoy March 13, 2012 2:43 am #

Nice!
    I wanna take a try too. Thanks.

4. Jodie March 19, 2012 7:22 pm #

Look yummy! Can’t wait to try.

5. elaine March 21, 2012 11:02 am #

Is that 1/2 cup of the corn?

6. Tania March 21, 2012 10:27 pm #

I can’t wait to try and make this tomorrow. :)

7. GembaGemba March 22, 2012 5:18 am #

Hi – as someone who isn’t particularly adventurous with her cooking, I saw your blog and got inspired – I cooked these stuffed peppers for me and my husband last night and we loved them – so easy and yet so scrummy. I made too much so we both have the leftovers in wraps at work today. This is the only one I have tried so far but I will definately be trying more – thanks for the fantastic recipes and keep them coming – your husband was right to get you to start this blog, it just wouldn’t have been fair to keep all this lovely food to yourself! ;-)

8. Amanda March 23, 2012 5:32 pm #

Do you cook the turkey before putting it into the peppers?

9. simplylovefood March 23, 2012 8:36 pm #

Gem – Thank you so much for your kind words…..I am so happy you enjoyed the peppers!

10. simplylovefood March 23, 2012 8:39 pm #

Sorry Elaine YES lol 1/2 cup

11. simplylovefood March 23, 2012 8:41 pm #

Amanda – I think to be safe yes I would defiantly cook the turkey before :)

12. Kelly March 27, 2012 1:21 pm #

Do you happen to know how many calories are in each pepper?

13. Lydia March 27, 2012 1:43 pm #

Will have to make this this week

14. simplylovefood March 27, 2012 9:02 pm #

Kelly – I actually made these the other day and calculated the calories out…… I made them a bit different than I normally do so the calorie content was different. My advice is to actually measure out each ingredient and write it down as you are making them. While they are baking you can calculate what the total calories will be. Hope this helped ;)

15. Lori March 28, 2012 12:16 pm #

made this last night, my husband and I LOVED the flavor!! Thank you!!

16. Amanda March 28, 2012 4:26 pm #

Made these for dinner tonight.. SO YUMMY!!! had them with a nice salad.. yum!

17. jenn March 29, 2012 7:33 pm #

i found this recipe on Pinterest and am so glad I did. I made this for dinner for tonight and it was fantastic! This is definitely being added to our regular meal rotations. :D

18. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen March 31, 2012 7:21 pm #

I pinned these gorgeous things and got 92 repins! I’m looking forward to trying them out.

19. simplylovefood March 31, 2012 8:54 pm #

WOW 92 pins!!!!! That is insane!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for pinning the recipe. I make it at least once a week because we love it that much!

20. Kelly April 1, 2012 4:55 pm #

Hi! Looks delicious, found this on pinterest. I bought all of the ingredients- but am not sure if you cook EVERYTHING before you put it in the peppers, or just the turkey?

21. simplylovefood April 1, 2012 8:11 pm #

Kelly -I just updated the post with a little bit more clarification :) I defiantly would recommend cooking your turkey ahead of time & I chose to cook my onions until soft then I added in the rice, beans and corn just because I like the veggies a little softer :) ))) Thanks for your question! Hope that helps!

22. pam April 2, 2012 8:50 am #

We arent huge bean fans… any substitutes you would recommend?

23. simplylovefood April 2, 2012 12:34 pm #

Hi Pam – While the beans don’t do anything “magical” I think they add texture and help add bulk to the filling. You can certainly just add more veggies, not sure if you are a mushroom fan but they work great in this recipe and also give it some extra flavor :)

24. Ashley April 2, 2012 2:21 pm #

This is probably a silly question, I rinsed and drained the black beans. Now do they need to be cooked, or will they soften once in the oven?

25. simplylovefood April 2, 2012 8:32 pm #

Ashely -Not a silly question at all :) You don’t HAVE to cook the beans. They defiantly soften up once they are baked in the oven.

26. allie April 2, 2012 8:56 pm #

Found these on pinterest…made them without the meat. AMAZING!!! Huge hit at dinner with the friends!! Having them again this week!

27. simplylovefood April 2, 2012 9:07 pm #

Allie – THANK YOU! I love them meatless in fact it’s how I prefer them :) Thanks again for the feedback!

28. Cam April 3, 2012 4:01 pm #

Hi! These look so good! May be a silly question, but do you brush both the inside and outside of the peppers with oil before roasting them? Also, do you lay them open side up or down to roast?? Thank you!

29. simplylovefood April 3, 2012 8:26 pm #

Cam – I lay the peppers cut side up in a casserole dish. I also give the peppers a very light coat of the olive oil. I actually just put a few drops in my hands and rub it all over the halved peppers :)

30. Courtney April 4, 2012 10:16 am #

Making these tonight! Do you cut the peppers before roasting? And do you add the corn frozen into the pan while you cool the onions?

31. Abigail Scott April 5, 2012 5:43 am #

Thanks for sharing this recipe – It’s amazing!! I had a lot of tomatoes at home so I did half stuffed peppers and half stuffed tomatoes. It’s a great healthy, filling meal.

32. Kim B. April 6, 2012 5:18 pm #

I made your recipe tonight & it was a HIT! Hubby said it was excellent! I just shared it on facebook. I found you on Pinterest.
    Thank you!!!

33. simplylovefood April 6, 2012 10:46 pm #

Kim B.- thank you so very much! I seriously could eat these peppers everyday and not get sick of them!

34. Elaine S April 9, 2012 10:13 am #

I’m going to be trying these, especially since yellow & red bells are on sale this week! I made stuffed peppers just last week, making a rice, mushroom & chopped shrimp stuffing. Served them with a beurre blanc sauce with shallots. Not diet friendly, but very good. Just a thought for a different stuffing for you. :-)

35. Lora Swanger April 10, 2012 7:10 pm #

My family is devouring these as I type. I added a little chili powder, but other than that, this is the perfect stuffed peppers. I had some mix left over and my son is making a burrito. YUM!

36. Christina P April 11, 2012 11:37 am #

I made these and put them in my Crock Pot: Low for 8 hours. I stuffed them without cooking the meat. The thermometer registered 170 degrees, so I knew they were done. The flavors are AMAZING!! So easy in the crock pot! One of our favorites (even my 19 month old loves them)! Thank You!

37. ordinarygirlz.blog.com April 15, 2012 11:40 am #

Wonderful idea I haven’t had stuffed peppers in years. Saw this on Pinterest looked yummy, I now have it ready to go for dinner tonight. complimented with a mile high lemon pie for desert :D

38. michelle April 15, 2012 9:06 pm #

These were so good! I added 1 chopped Jalapeno for a little heat. I’ve tried a couple different stuffed peppers recipes and these were by far the best. My husband, who almost always says my cooking lacks flavor, loved them and said they had lots of flavor! Winner! Will definitely be making these again!

39. simplylovefood April 16, 2012 10:50 am #

Thank you ALL for the comments!!!! I am still in shock over the popularity of this recipe…I am currently trying to create a new stuffed pepper in addition to this one….You can never have TO many stuffed peppers!!!

40. Jennifer April 19, 2012 8:30 pm #

I made these tonight and my husband and I both loved them! I used some fresh corn that I already had in the fridge, some leftover rice pilaf, and some leftover salsa we got with takeout from our favorite Mexican food place earlier this week. They were seriously delicious! Thanks for such a great recipe!

41. AmeliaO April 23, 2012 5:06 pm #

Cannot wait to try this! Question… Would quinoa make a good substitution for the rice? Thanks so much!

42. Lydia Marie April 23, 2012 10:13 pm #

Found this on pinterest yesterday (and got repinned 210 times since then!), made it for dinner tonight and it was a hit! Thanks! :)

43. simplylovefood April 23, 2012 10:28 pm #

Amelia – I have had quite a few people tell me that they have used quinoa and they LOVED it! I say try it out I may just have to try quinoa with this recipe!

44. simplylovefood April 23, 2012 10:29 pm #

Lydia – Thank you for the comment! I enjoy reading how much everyone has enjoyed this recipe. I am working on another one for the near future :)

45. Danielle April 24, 2012 7:30 pm #

These were awesome! I made them vegan by subbing seasoned ground tofu, faux cheese and sour cream. YUMMY!!!

46. Laurie May 1, 2012 6:55 am #

Any thoughts on freezing them? I was thinking of doing it after stuffing them. I am due with baby #2 in two weeks and I am looking for yummy dinners to freeze. I too found this recipe on Pinterest :)

47. simplylovefood May 1, 2012 10:15 am #

Laurie – I’ve never tried freezing them before…..I read up on what others have tried and most said to do everything except bake them , make sure they have cooled down (such as the filling being hot etc) and then wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and then placing them in an airtight container or a freezer bag. Seems like the majority of people said to try to eat them as soon as possible because they don’t taste as fresh or as good the longer they sit in the freezer….Maybe that helps? Congrats on baby #2! :) )))))

48. Allison May 2, 2012 2:15 pm #

Can you leave out the rice??? and do more meat or more beans instead?

49. simplylovefood May 2, 2012 2:26 pm #

Allison – Absolutely! I honestly am not a huge rice person myself…..I always use extra veggies into mine. I just tried it was grated zucchini and it was great!

50. Laurie May 3, 2012 6:19 am #

Great! Thank you!!

51. Heidi May 3, 2012 11:54 am #

I’ve made these and they are AMAZING!!!! Silly question, I’m having an argument with my sister that a serving is 1 pepper half, she says it’s the WHOLE pepper. All I know is 1 half is VERY filling :)

52. Heidi May 3, 2012 12:01 pm #

Oh and freezing them is GREAT too!!!! All I do after they are cooked is put them in a plastic container and freeze. When I need them I just pop one out and heat it in the microwave!!! Doesn’t get easier then that!!!!!

53. simplylovefood May 3, 2012 12:16 pm #

LOL Heidi that’s funny! I am usually pretty full after one half however my husband can definitely eat two halves very easily with NO problems! Thank you for the freezing info I may just have to try that myself :) ))))

54. Jenn's Adventures May 23, 2012 3:51 pm #

I am soooooooooooooo going to make this tonight!! FABULOUS recipe:)

55. Marla June 1, 2012 9:06 pm #

This recipe looks good. I will need to try it out sometime. do you know the nutritional information in the recipe, such as the total fat, total carbs, total protein and fiber amounts. I’m on weight watchers and was wondering how many points it might be. Thanks.

56. PCEG June 5, 2012 11:00 am #

Where can i get the mango peach salsa? I wanna make this recipe exactly like it is but what if I can’t find the mango peach salsa?

57. simplylovefood June 5, 2012 4:58 pm #

You can find it just about ANYWHERE….I usually make my own but if I don’t have time I like the Newman’s Own brand. The mangoes and peaches add just a hint of sweetness :)

58. Victoria Bayne June 6, 2012 7:59 am #

I was wondering what would be a good side with this? Do you usually just have the stuffed peppers by themselves?

59. simplylovefood June 6, 2012 8:36 am #

Hi Victoria – normally I serve calabacitas which are sauted mexican style veggies or when in season I make roasted asparagus. You can always make a green salad to go along with it too :)

60. Shannon June 7, 2012 4:53 pm #

Just made these and they are delicious!! Wonderful recipe!!

61. Autumn June 7, 2012 8:40 pm #

Just made these tonight for my family! I used lean ground beef instead of turkey, and left out the onion since I’m breastfeeding and onions hurt lil ones tummy. But it was absolutely delicious! We ate it with multigrain tostitos chips. It was fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!

62. Lauren Reiter June 8, 2012 10:28 am #

I made these peppers last night … I wanted to eat the entire pan!! So GOOD!!!!

63. simplylovefood June 8, 2012 12:17 pm #

Thank you all for the comments!! I never in a million years thought this ole recipe would be such a hit!!! I have been experimenting with other pepper recipes trying to create another delicious dish….

64. georgiapeach June 8, 2012 1:25 pm #

made these for a vegetarian friend with quinoa in place of the turkey. Very tasty. Liked by all the omnivores too.

65. Rachel June 9, 2012 8:02 pm #

I just made these, and they were INCREDIBLE. My parents were raving all through dinner about how amazing they were. They were so flavourful and so delicious! I’ll definitely be making this again!!

66. Hugh Ruden June 10, 2012 5:34 am #

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

67. K Franklin June 13, 2012 8:17 am #

Can these be frozen and used for lunches??

68. K Franklin June 13, 2012 8:19 am #

Oh sorry, just saw the freezing comment. Thanks!!!

69. Sarah June 13, 2012 4:34 pm #

Does this reheat well?

70. simplylovefood June 13, 2012 4:48 pm #

Sarah – Yes they do reheat well….I don’t think they would be good sitting to long as they may become to “soggy” however I we usually do eat them the next day for lunch and they are still as tasty as ever.

71. Jenn June 13, 2012 7:31 pm #

Wow….pinned this a few days ago and just made them tonight for me and the husband with asparagus …they were a HIT….he absolutely loved them and these will definitely be a staple in our home…thanks so much l

72. Desiree July 2, 2012 8:43 am #

Hi there!
    I just want to thank you for sharing this awesome recipe. I am featuring your dish on my blog today. Thank you again!!

73. simplylovefood July 2, 2012 9:19 pm #

Desiree thank YOU!!!!! That is such a compliment to be featured on your own personal blog. Thank you so much :)

74. gingerwifey July 8, 2012 7:54 am #

I made these this past week, and my family LOVED them!!

75. Jennifer July 10, 2012 5:36 pm #

I made this tonight it was really good! I made some changes tho: didn’t use rice, used only 1/2 can of beans and 1/2 of an onion, added 1 small can of green chiles instead of the salsa, and used just 2 peppers since there is only 2 of us

76. Colleen July 11, 2012 6:26 am #

I made this last night and it was SOO good. I will probably tweak the recipe a bit next time because I had a lot of filling left over. I also didn’t buy ground turkey breast and I think that the dark meat had a lot more turkey flavor than I would have liked. Otherwise, it was great! I used Newman’s Own Medium Mango Salsa. :)

77. Stephan July 17, 2012 6:30 pm #

I made these tonight and they were so delish!! I have made these before and this is such a better recipe! thanks!!!!

78. Emily July 18, 2012 7:56 am #

Wonderful!!! Great recipe! I put a little sriracha sour cream on top- YUM!! Thanks!

79. Cristina July 18, 2012 4:47 pm #

I found this recipe on pintrest and made it for dinner tonight. it was beyond AMAZING!!! Thanks :)

80. Linda Blankenship Cardenas August 3, 2012 6:17 pm #

I made these tonight. They were really good.. My daughter ate 2 and she’s never been a fan of stuffed peppers. I only used 1/4 of an onion, 1/2 can of beans and maybe 3-4 tablespoons of salsa and I still had filling leftover, so I will adjust the quantities next time. I used peach mango salsa (which I’ve never had before and is very tasty by the way) but for me, it made the dish a little too sweet, so I may use different salsa next time. I topped them with pepper jack cheese, because that’s all I had.

81. kelley August 8, 2012 5:44 pm #

Thank you for this incredible recipe! I’ve made these twice, once with brown rice and once with white rice. Turned out delicious both ways! It’s a big hit with my Family!

82. Fiona August 12, 2012 10:15 am #

Great job for winning this!!! I knew I recognized the photo.

83. Jak August 14, 2012 6:03 am #

Hi fab recipe and cant wait to try it, was owndering (very cheekily) if you had the recipe for homemade Taco seasoning please?

Thanks in advance

84. Jen S August 20, 2012 8:04 am #

Okay, I am drooling over these! So glad that I found this!

85. JC August 25, 2012 6:31 pm #

Wow I can’t wait to try one, those look amazing.

86. Melissa Oberling September 8, 2012 9:20 am #

Both versions of this recipe sound delicious! I’ll definitely be trying these out! Thanks!!

87. Anonymous September 20, 2012 10:34 am #

These were the best stuffed peppers I have ever made. We loved them and left beans out this time simply because I didn’t have any. Wonderful 5 stars.

88. Cheryl September 20, 2012 10:36 am #

These were the best stuffed peppers I have ever made. Full of flavor and definitely a keeper. Five thumbs up. I did leave the beans out this time because I didn’t have any and this was still wonderful.

89. Lisa October 13, 2012 6:16 pm #

Made these tonight. As a kid, I hated stuffed peppers. Now that I like peppers, I decided to give these a try. Boy, were they good!! My husband, who didn’t seem thrilled about trying this new dish, fell in love with it. Definitely going to be a repeater around here! Thank you!

90. Ashley January 12, 2013 5:46 pm #

I made the Vegan version of these tonight & my family absolutely loved them!! Thank you so much for sharing such a great recipe!!

91. Jenn January 23, 2013 12:49 pm #

Hi there!

My name is Jenn (jg_robinson on Instagram) and I know I commented about your stuffed peppers there, but just wanted to share my blog post about them w/you!

Jenn :)

92. simplylovefood January 25, 2013 4:46 pm #

Jenn – THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I’m on my way over to your blog now!

93. Melissa January 27, 2013 1:44 pm #

These look great and I’m always looking for new healthy, yet good tasting recipes! Would you happen to have the nutrition information available?
    Thanks!

94. Lea Ann February 1, 2013 7:55 pm #

Had this tonight for dinner…Amazing! My husband loved it, even said this is a recipe to keep.

95. Kajo February 23, 2013 5:05 pm #

Making these tomorrow. I did like the look of the ground turkey ( it looked gross) in the store so I’m using some lean ground beef instead. I’ve made my own Taco seasoning mix for almost 30 years now. Very easy and I know exactly what’s in it.

96. Michelle March 14, 2013 8:18 pm #

Made this tonight – yummy! This is a great clean meal and very filling. I have also made my own taco seasoning for a long time as the packaged stuff is basically poison…. My family thinks the homemade version is way better anyway and it works great in your recipe. Thanks so much – it is so nice to try something new. I will be putting this one into my recipe rotation!

97. Abbie July 3, 2013 10:47 am #

Found this recipe on someones facebook and made them..Delicious recipe

98. Breanna Hardin July 18, 2013 2:55 pm #

I really want to try these, they look awesome!