Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

My sister got me  hooked on these cookies years ago…..Everytime I make them it makes me think of her and how are family would pig out on them. Literally. She always made a big batch & brought them to our parents house for the holidays. Let me just say they are  G.O.O.D! They are rich, fuggy, sweet but not too sweet and  just melt in your mouth. If you like brownies this will take you there. Also, the original recipe calls for vegetable oil (blah) so we incorporated a stick of butter just because we are from the south and as Paula Deen says “Everything’s Better With Butter”.

CHOCOLATE CRINKLES (by Ingrid @Allrecipes)

(I was able to get 3 dozen cookies out of this recipe. This will vary & will depend on how large or small you make your cookies.)

• 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened (recipe called for ½ c  of vegetable oil I used butter instead)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar

Directions

In a stand mixer ( or you can use a hand mixer), cream together white sugar and butter.

Beat in eggs one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla. Once mixed add the coco powder slowly making sure to mix very well.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the cocoa mixture. Let me just warn you this dough is THICK and it’s STICKY! It’s so thick and sticky, it literally broke my favorite spatula… L

Cover the dough  and chill for at least 4 hours. And the longer it can be chilled the better. I chilled mine overnight and it was VERY easy to handle.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees  & Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll dough into one inch balls and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Chill the cookies for 10-15 minutes just to firm them back up.  (I like to use a cookie scoop so that they are all pretty close to the same size.)

In a bowl add the confectioner’s sugar. Roll each dough ball in the sugar making sure to coat the cookie as much as possible. Place the cookie balls back onto the parchment lined cookie sheets.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Do NOT over cook or they will get very hard. Once done, let stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool.

Store in an airtight container. For up to 5 days.

Oooops....Looks like one cookie went missing while cooling.

Tags: , , , , ,

Post Author

This post was written by Meals Full Of Color who has written 154 posts on Meals Full Of Color.

7 Responses “Chocolate Crinkle Cookies”

1. Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) November 28, 2011 2:20 pm #

I love chocolate crinkles! They are so tasty and pretty.

2. simplylovefood November 28, 2011 2:51 pm #

I love chocolate crinkles to! I think I could sit and eat a batch myself…. For real! :) -

3. Laura December 4, 2011 7:59 pm #

These look absolutely wonderful! Making them this week.

4. simplylovefood December 4, 2011 8:24 pm #

Thank you Laura….. Be careful they are addictive! :)

5. Joy December 15, 2011 10:15 pm #

Hi, so i want to make them for tomorrow and i made the dough at 8:30 pm and now, it’s in the fridge because i realize i need to keep it in the refrigerator for 4 hours…is it okay to put it in the freezer? to speed up the process?

6. simplylovefood December 16, 2011 8:10 am #

Joy – Yes! But make sure you watch the dough VERY closely because the last thing you want is it to be frozen…..Try 30 minutes just enough to get a nice good chill going. Trust me the colder this cookie dough is the better. It will make rolling them into balls MUCH easier! IF I plan on making these I usually make the dough the day before and just keep it in the fridge. I hope you enjoy them!

7. Chelle December 24, 2012 9:30 am #

I made these the other day and they are awesome! I only have ever made these using Baker’s chocolate so this was a nice change of pace using the cocoa powder. Wowzers, I should really invest in a nice scoop if I plan on making these any more than once a year. So messy. No matter how fast I rolled my hands were covered in chocolate after more than 6 or so. Anyone I know who makes these runs into the same dilemma. I’m guessing using a scoop means less rolling? Less rolling means less mess :) I even placed the bowl in my freezer between each batch I rolled. So tasty, though so it’s worth the mess. Oh and if anyone has an issue with theirs coming out flat more looking like a chocolate chip cookie it’s probably your baking powder. Thanks for the great recipe!